The aim of the ensemble program is to expose and prepare local emerging performers and creatives to the professional realm of the performing arts. The ensemble works throughout the year to create original new performance pieces in a range of styles and spaces. Each new show is lead by a professional performance artist, with mentorship opportunities offered in a variety of roles for the ensemble (including directing, writing and design). The ensemble artists are encouraged to pursue their passion and also open themselves up to a range of different performance processes, styles and creative roles.
Through the support of the Mandurah Performing Arts Centre, the group have remarkable access to quality professional artists as part of our artistic programs. Nationally, we have worked with artists from Sydney Theatre Company, Black Swan State Theatre Company, Shaun Parker & Company and Barking Gecko Theatre Company to name a few. On an international level, members of the group have travelled to Glasgow to participate in a project with Scottish National Theatre that was presented as part of the Commonwealth Games celebrations.
Source Material: www.manpac.com.au/riptide
Role: Founder & Artistic Director (2011-2014)
- Set artistic direction for Riptide Contemporary Youth Performance Group.
- Secure a range of skills development and performance opportunities from leading, high profile national artists & companies.
- Identify, prepare and manage project concepts, budgets and contracts for company activities.
- Engage in strategic discussions regarding audience development, the centre’s youth ambassador scheme and the role of Riptide within these contexts.
- Deliver company workshops & performance projects as required.
- Provide choreographic mentorship as required.
- Liaise with Mandurah Performing Arts Centre (MPAC) marketing team to support project promotion and participant recruitment.
- Draft all funding applications.
- Ensure compliance with all funding and sponsorship agreements.
- Draft all funding acquittals and project reports.
Supported by Mandurah Performing Arts Centre
With Riptide Contemporary Performance Group
Creative Producer / Mentoring Choreographer Helen Duncan
Mentoring Director Sarah Giles
Mentoring Writer Suzie Miller
Mentoring Choreographer Helen Duncan
Associate Director Scarlette Yakovina
Associate Choreographer Rebecca Boddy
“Don’t criticize what you can’t understand, your sons and your daughters are beyond your command.”
— Bob Dylan