Creative Behaviours Dance Collective & Photography Studio
Role: Founder, Creative Behaviours Dance Collective & Studio Hire Space
The pilot program offered independent professional dancers:
• Opportunity to stay active and fit in between contracts with contact of up to 20 hours a week
• Free access to regular professional classes including Pilates, stretch & strengthening, contemporary dance and technique, voice & text work.
• Experience working with other artists creative methodologies
• Complimentary head shots and performance photos
• Footage to use for show reels
• Free access to studio space to develop their own projects
In 2013, I successfully implemented a three year pilot program that experimented with grass routes solutions to addressing shortage of access to space and funding for independent dancers and choreographers. I created and led the Creative Behaviours Dance Collective, which provided rehearsal space, support and mentorship for independent dancers to train, collaborate and drive the creation of new work. In a unique model of financial support I set up a photography and space hire facility at the iconic Docklands Cotton Mills in Footscray and this part-time photography bookings and other studio incomes generated the income to pay for the running costs of the collective. The program offered artists opportunity to stay active and fit in between contracts with contact of up to 20 hours a week, free access to regular professional classes including Pilates, stretch & strengthening, contemporary dance and technique, voice & text work and experience working with other artist creative methodologies. The Creative Behaviours Photography Studio was acquired in 2017 and continues to thrive as well known creative arts and photography studio in Melbourne.
- Manage all marketing, press & publicity for both Creative Behaviours Studio Hire & Dance Collective
- Develop and manage websites (including booking and payment applications) & maintain social media platforms for Studio Hire & Dance Collective
- Facilitate company auditions and manage selection & recruitment
- Source professional development and performance opportunities for dance company members
- Mentor young and emerging dance artists; specifically towards developing skills for independent arts practice and maintaining peak physical, creative and cerebral fitness
- Develop and promote in-house creative development showings
- Support guest choreographers & teachers
- Provide mentorship and space for independent dance artists to developed their own choreographic work
DANCE INFORMA MAGAZINE Creative Behaviours Dance Collective: Continue your training between jobs
As a dance student, I remember being told “make the most of your time here, as you’ll never improve once you graduate.” It was a grim notion, but – although I don’t agree – I’ve since discovered there is an element of truth to it. It’s easy to take for granted the privilege of spending all day in a studio, learning, practicing, exploring and discovering, receiving coaching and feedback, and being encouraged to push past our own limitations. Upon being birthed into “the industry” — fresh, enthusiastic and in peak physical shape — it doesn’t take long for the reality of the world around us to come sharply into focus.
Sound depressing? It sure can be. That’s why it’s so heartening that Creative Behaviours Dance Collective exists.
DANCE AUSTRALIA MAGAZINE Creative Behaviours Dance Audition (Melbourne)
The Creative Behaviours Dance Collective is holding auditions for professional dancers, physical theatre artists and movement artists...